Sunday, February 21, 2010

Yummy Yummy Coffee Cake

I made some coffee cake yesterday morning. This is a recipe that I got from my Grandma Burge. I've made it several times over the years, but its been awhile since I made it last. My grandma isn't eating much of anything these last few days, so I thought maybe she'd get a bite of this coffee cake down if I made it. She always loved this and made it quite often, so we'll see how it goes.

This is a great coffee cake - super moist and super delicious every time. Everyone always loves it. Its also very similar (even in name) to a recipe that my SIL posted last month. A little less butter, no baking powder, and a little less cinnamon in this recipe vs. hers. I included a glaze in the recipe below that we often will drizzle over the coffee cake, but its not necessary - its great with or without!

Yummy Yummy Coffee Cake

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour

Filling:
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup nuts (optional)

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2-3 Tablespoons milk

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 11x7 pan.

Beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla together. Add baking soda, salt, sour cream, and flour.

Mix filling ingredients in a separate bowl.

Put half of the dough in the prepared pan. Top with half of filling. Spread the remaining dough on top. Then remaining filling.

Bake 35-40 minutes.

While still warm, mix glaze and drizzle over top.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Mmmm, I still have some of ours in the freezer. I'll have to take that out for breakfast soon.

Melissa said...

oooooh i'm drooling! :)