Sunday, February 28, 2010

Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken

I made another recipe from A Year of Slow Cooking for cream cheese chicken the other night. This was very quick to prep, super simple, and very tasty. Definitely a keeper! Its pretty much like chicken stroganoff. We all loved it! I'll add a pint of mushrooms next time to make it even better!

Crockpot Cream Cheese Chicken

2 cups homemade cream of mushroom soup (I used a pint of home-canned)
frozen chicken--enough to feed four adults
2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning (I just used some garlic, rosemary, oregano, parsley)
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cloves minced garlic
block of cream cheese (to add later)
pasta (I used up some random organic sprouted wheat ribbons and organic egg noodles)

Put everything except for the cream cheese into the crockpot. Cook on low for 6 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and begins to shred. Shred the chicken with two large forks, and mix in the block of cream cheese. Switch the crock to high and cook for another 30 minutes, or until the cream cheese is fully melted. Serve over pasta.

3 comments:

The Voogts said...

I've considered this recipe so many times. But then it always sounds so heavy. Was it? It does sound super easy, though.

Sara said...

No, I don't think it was too heavy, really. Not like beef stroganoff. Something else for next time is that I may not use the whole brick of cream cheese... I think it'd be fine with half a brick and it'd cut some calories.

The Voogts said...

Good idea. Maybe I'll have to try it.