Sunday, February 28, 2010

Crockpot Baked Oatmeal

I've been wanting to make this baked oatmeal for awhile, so I decided to make it for lunch today. This is another keeper from A Year of Slow Cooking. Very easy prep and super yummy!! I had never tried baked oatmeal, so I wasn't sure what to expect. This is so good, though! Even Kevin thought it was ok - and he doesn't like normal oatmeal. I think I may start making this regularly every other Sunday to have throughout the week. It will be fun to try different flavorings, too... different dried fruits, maple syrup and a little more brown sugar, applesauce and chopped apples, bananas and walnuts - yum!

Crockpot Baked Oatmeal

3 cups rolled (not instant) oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoon flax meal (optional)
1 cup milk
2 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup dried fruit (I used some store-bought golden raisins and cranberries and some home-dried cherries and blueberries)

I used a 4 quart oval crockpot. You're baking this, but no need to vent the lid of the crock; keep all the moisture in.

Mix all the ingredients together in the crockpot. I dumped in all the dry stuff, then added the melted butter and milk. Stir well with a spoon. Make sure the baking powder gets dispersed evenly.

Cover and cook on low for 3-5 hours, checking every so often. This is done when the edges are brown and are beginning to crust, and the center is set. An inserted knife should come out clean. (Mine took about 4 hours and 15 minutes).

Let it sit in the cooling crockpot for at least an hour before attempting to cut. The longer you let it sit, the more set and brownie-like the pieces will be.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Great breakfast idea! Oatmeal will be on my menu next week. But I want to find some steel cut oats first. Never thought about doing it in the crockpot! And being able to make a bunch and just reheat it throughout the week is a great idea.