Sunday, February 7, 2010

Fruit Salad

I found this recipe on AllRecipes and wanted to try it out for our family party to celebrate my FIL's birthday yesterday. It was very tasty and something I'll make again, for sure. I followed the recipe as stated below this time around, but next time around I'll use my homemade home-canned apple or cherry pie filling, I think. Again, everything was actually organic, too (I don't normally buy organic bananas, but did this week since I was shopping at Whole Foods for everything).

Sunday Best Fruit Salad

1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, juice reserved
2 apples, peeled and cored
1 (21 ounce) can peach pie filling
2 bananas, peeled and diced
3 kiwis
1 pint strawberries (I used some that I froze last summer)
(I added a can of mandarin oranges, drained)

In a small bowl, toss the chopped apples in reserved pineapple juice. Allow to sit for 5 to 10 minutes. In a large salad bowl, combine the peach pie filling and pineapple chunks. Remove apples from pineapple juice and add to pie filling and pineapple mixture. Add chopped bananas to reserved pineapple juice and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes. Peel and slice kiwi and 1/2 of strawberries. Chop the other 1/2 of strawberries and set aside. Remove bananas from pineapple juice and add to pie filling mixture. Add chopped strawberries; toss together. Arrange kiwi slices around the edge of the serving bowl and alternate with strawberry slices. Chill and serve.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

This was great! I forgot to grab a little extra before you left for Rebecca. She loved it but only had a few bites with dinner (lots of distractions :) Maybe I'll have to make it sometime.

Sara said...

I wondered if you had kept some for Rebecca, or not. I figured you had - guess I should have asked.