Saturday, February 20, 2010

2010 Veggie Garden

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'll be focusing on the orchard and berries this year over the veggie garden. I'll still be planting a rather large garden with a good variety of veggies, but it will be nothing compared to last year's garden. I'm going for extra low maintenance this year, so I've decided not to grow corn, carrots, potatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, dry beans, okra, pac choi, brussels sprouts, parsnips, leeks, shallots, or peas this year. But I'm also trying out a few new things this year - edamame, beets, pumpkins, kohlrabi, and cantaloupe. I've decided I'll take this year off from starting my seeds indoors. So all the seeds I ordered this year are ones that I can plant directly in the veggie garden. I'll pick up some plants at our local nursery to fill in the missing veggies that can't be directly seeded. So here's my plan...

Seeds ordered from Fedco Seeds:

Green Beans - Organic Provider
Yellow Beans - Organic Golden Rocky
Edamame - Beer Friend Soybean
Cucumbers - Organic Little Leaf Pickling Cucumber
Zucchini - Jackpot (green), Sebring (yellow)
Summer Squash - Gentry
Fall/Winter Squash
- Organic Uncle David's Dakota Dessert (buttercup)
Pumpkins - Baby Pam (pie), Lumina (white)
Beets - Organic Red Ace
Spinach - Tyee
Lettuce - Buttercrunch
Chard - Bright Lights
Kohlrabi - Kolibri

I'll pick up the following plants at our local nursery:

Broccoli
Tomatoes - heirloom varieties
Peppers - bell peppers and jalapenos
Cantaloupe

So that's my plan this year. Much more scaled back than last year's garden. I'm sure I'll miss having such a large variety of veggies, but I think we still are going to end up with plenty. :)

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Looks like a great variety of veggies. And I think it will be a good idea to scale back this year...make it more enjoyable instead of overwhelming.