Thursday, December 31, 2009

Old-Fashioned Wheat Bread

Here is another recipe that I tried from the 250 Best American Bread Machine Baking Recipes book that I have checked out from the library. I made this a couple of weeks ago and it is very good - I've actually made it once more since. It is moist, yet sort of dense, with a nice crumb. Its great for sandwiches and toast in the mornings! I have a picture of the bread sliced - but that picture is still on the camera, so I'll update with that later on.

Old-Fashioned Wheat Bread

1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons liquid honey
1 Tablespoon molasses
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup bread flour
1/4 cup gluten
1 1/4 teaspoon bread machine yeast

Measure ingredients into baking pan in the order recommended by your machine manufacturer. Insert pan in the oven chamber. Select Whole Wheat Cycle. Makes a 1.5 pound loaf.

* For a sweeter, milder-flavored bread, you may substitute packed brown sugar for the honey and molasses.

* You may use the Rapid Whole Wheat Cycle, just increase the yeast by 1/2 teaspoon.

1 comment:

Mary Voogt said...

This looks good! I need to start baking bread.