Thursday, December 3, 2009

Crockpot Pork Chops with Mustard-Sauced Potatoes

On Tuesday, I tried another recipe from 365 Days of Slow Cooking for pork chops and mustard-sauced potatoes. This was very good! I used my home-canned, homemade cream of mushroom soup and some of the pork that my BFF Sara's brother raised last year, all-natural, hormone/antibiotic-free. Good quality meat makes such a difference, but honestly, this dish would probably still be excellent with the pork chops you buy at Meijer or Kroger or something, too. The chops get so incredibly tender in the crockpot - they were falling off the bone and were so nice and moist. The potatoes were very good, too. Great flavors!

Pork Chops with Mustard-Sauced Potatoes

6 pork loin chops, cut 3/4 inch thick
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup dijon-style mustard
1 tsp dried thyme
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp pepper
6 medium potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 medium onion, sliced

In large skillet brown pork chops on both sides in hot oil. Drain off fat. (I didn't do this b/c I didn't have time in the morning). In large mixing bowl combine soup, chicken broth, mustard, thyme, garlic, and pepper. (I just did this in the crockpot, rather than dirtying a bowl). Add potatoes and onion, stirring to coat. Transfer to a 3 quart slow cooker (I used my 6-quart b/c its the only one with a timer). Place browned chops on top of potatoes. Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 7-8 hours. (Mine cooked for about 9 hours on low, then it switched to Keep Warm for another 2 hours.)

No comments: