Monday, December 29, 2008

Sausage Smothered in Cabbage

Tonight I tried a new recipe for sausage smothered in cabbage from AllRecipes. This was very good and I'd make it again. I'm trying to decide what to grow in our garden next year and have been wanting to try out different dishes using cabbage to know if it'd be worth it to put in some cabbage plants. I think it'd be worth it to put in some plants, especially since cabbage keeps so well in cold storage, so we wouldn't necessarily have to eat a lot of cabbage dishes all at once.

Sausage Smothered in Cabbage

1 small head red cabbage, shredded (I used savoy cabbage and just chopped it)
1 apple, cored and diced (I didn't have an apple, so I just used about a quarter cup of applesauce instead)
3 teaspoons salt, divided (I only used 2 teaspoons, but next time would not put any in, or only a trace amount)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1 small onion, chopped (I used a shallot)
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon wine vinegar (I used red wine vinegar)
1 pound kielbasa sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces

Place the cabbage in a large kettle, and add the diced apple, 2 teaspoons of the salt, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil then simmer, covered, about 15 minutes stirring occasionally.

In hot butter, saute the onion until golden. Add the onion to the cabbage along with 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, vinegar and sausage. Cook, covered, 20 to 30 minutes, or until sausage is heated through.

No comments: