Thursday, December 25, 2008

Fruit Salad

Tonight I made up a fruit salad for tomorrow's Christmas celebration with the Hollebooms. My Grandma B. has made this for as long as I can remember. Its simple, but still so good. And its a great fruit salad for winter when fresh fruit isn't so readily available (or tasty).

Fruit Salad

1 can chunk pineapple, save the juice
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
1 jar maraschino cherries, drained
3 bananas, sliced
1 box cook 'n serve vanilla pudding
water

Use the juice from the pineapple plus some water to make 2 cups of liquid. Put this in a pan on the stovetop and bring to a boil. Add the vanilla pudding and stir. Chill for a bit.

Dump the fruit into a bowl - all except the bananas. Once pudding mixture is cooled a little, pour over fruit. Toss a little to mix it all up. Refrigerate overnight.

Just before serving the next day, slice the bananas, add, and stir.

(I don't have any bananas today and didn't feel like going to the store to get any, so ours won't have bananas tomorrow. I added a second can of pineapple to make up for it.)

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

This sounds very similar to a fruit salad recipe handed down from my mom. Except hers has mini marshmallows. It was one of my favorites growing up :)