Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Oatmeal Carmelitas

I got this recipe from one of my bosses, Connie. She brings them in quite often and they're always a favorite of everyone's. This is a family recipe of hers from her Grandma, I believe. They are so yummy! I'm making them to bring to our Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrations. Kevin isn't a fan because he doesn't care for the crumbly texture on top, but I love them and hope you do, too!



Oatmeal Carmelitas

14 oz. package light candy caramels
1/2 cups evaporated milk
OR
1 jar caramel ice cream topping
1/4 cup flour
(I used the ice cream topping and flour)

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups quick-cooking oats
1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 cup (6 oz. package) semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used about 2 cups, half milk chocolate and half semi-sweet)
1 cup chopped pecans (I left these out)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Melt caramels in evaporated milk in heavy saucepan over very low heat. Cool slightly. OR mix caramel ice cream topping and flour together in a small bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, combine remaining ingredients except chocolate and pecans. Press half of this mixture into the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. (I would suggest using about 3/4 of the mixture in the bottom of the pan)

Remove from oven. Sprinkle with chocolate pieces and pecans. Spread carefully with caramel mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumb mixture on top. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Chill 1-2 hours. Cut into squares to make bars.

No comments: