Sunday, December 7, 2008

Banana Cookies

Let the Christmas baking season begin! Tonight I made a batch of banana drop cookies. Although, I doubt this batch will make it to Christmas - I'd have doubled or tripled the recipe tonight if I'd had the flour on hand. These are very easy cookies to make, especially using my KitchenAid mixer. :) My family has been making these cookies for many, many years. I'm not really sure where the recipe came from, but I believe we picked it up at a cookie exchange many years back. These are so good. Probably my favorite cookie - though there are some close ties. Kevin loves these cookies, too. They taste like banana bread, especially with no icing. I didn't ice them tonight because part of my reason for making this particular cookie is that I thought it'd be a good cookie for Carson. He was in bed for the night when I made them, so we'll have to see what he thinks of them tomorrow.

I'll update later with a picture.

Christmas Banana Drop Cookies

2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup ripe banana, mashed (about 2 medium-sized bananas)

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and slowly beat in sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well until mixed. Stir in vanilla. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together. Add to butter mixture, alternating with banana, a little at a time. Mix well until smooth. Drop by the teaspoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8 minutes, or until light-golden brown around the edges. Makes about 48 cookies. (I do mine with my cookie scoop, which is probably about a tablespoonful, so I get 36 cookies per batch when I make them.)

Icing

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon melted butter
milk

Sift powdered sugar to avoid lumps. Add the vanilla and melted butter to the powdered sugar. Add enough milk to make the proper spreading consistency. Spread over banana cookies. Sprinkle with red and green sugar.

1 comment:

kat said...

oh I never thought of making a banana cookie! How yummy sounding