Friday, December 5, 2008

Chicken Tortilla Soup

I made chicken tortilla soup in the crockpot (from A Year of Crockpotting) yesterday. YUM! This was fantastic! Definitely one of the better (if not the best) chicken tortilla soups I've had. Kevin and I both loved it. I made a huge batch - enough for leftovers, lunch, and some for the freezer. I'll definitely make this again.

I'll update later with a picture.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

3 cups of chicken broth, homemade or packaged (I used my homemade stock and probably about 4 cups)
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken (I used leftover roasted chicken that I had in the freezer and used about 3 cups)
1/2 onion (I used a whole medium onion)
1 cup frozen roasted corn (I threw in a whole bag)
2 green onions (left these out since I didn't have them)
28 oz can of tomatoes and juice (I used petite diced)
1 cup chopped up vegetables that you have on hand (I used celery, green pepper, carrots)
4 cloves of garlic
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (I left this out)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I used about 3/4 teaspoon)
1 teaspoon cumin (I added more than this... probably about 2 1/2 teaspoons)
salt to taste (I left this out)
(I also added 12 ounces vegetable juice (like V-8) and 1 can drained and rinsed black beans)

Chop all veggies into fine chunks. Dump everything into the crockpot. It's okay if you have frozen stuff. Totally okay to assemble the night before.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or high for 6 or so. (Mine cooked for about 11 hours on low)

Before serving, add whatever garnish you choose. We used some broken up tortilla chips, reduced fat sour cream, and 2% milk mexican blend shredded cheese.

No comments: