Sunday, December 14, 2008

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies



I tried another new cookie recipe over the weekend for oatmeal butterscotch cookies. I saw the recipe on Baking Bites, a baking blog that I regularly follow. I guess this is actually a recipe that Cindy McCain had submitted to Good Housekeeping magazine as a favorite cookie recipe. I love oatmeal cookies and I love butterscotch, so I had been looking for a good oatmeal butterscotch cookie recipe. This is definitely a great one! I think they're awesome! Kevin doesn't care for oatmeal and he doesn't care for butterscotch, so he wouldn't even taste a bite of one. This will definitely be a keeper for me, though! Next time I might even add a few chocolate chips to change it up a bit. Though they're awesome as-is.

Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies

3/4 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp salt
3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 375F. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or silpat.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Blend in eggs and vanilla until mixture is smooth.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir into butter mixture, then mix in the oats and butterscotch chips.

Drop rounded tablespoonfuls (large balls) of cookie down onto the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches between each cookie to allow for spread.

Bake for 10-11 minutes, until the edges begin to brown. (It only took about 9.5 minutes in my oven. You want to pull them out as soon as you see the edge turning light golden brown. The centers will set up while the sit on the hot baking sheet for a few minutes.)

Let cookies cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies. (I did a double recipe so I'd have plenty to bring into work on Wednesday and ended up getting about 10 dozen... so I'd say this recipe would produce about 5 dozen cookies with my cookie scoop anyway.)

1 comment:

kat said...

My husband would be all about those