Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Tuna Casserole

We actually had this for dinner last night since I forgot to put the insert in the crockpot before I left for work yesterday. So I had to switch up the tuna casserole and chili. But anyway, I originally saw this recipe on our cousin Melissa's blog, then my SIL Mary made it, so I figured it was time I tried it, too. I've never had tuna casserole - tuna salads, but no tuna casserole. It was pretty good. Kevin and I both really liked it. Carson didn't have any (he was already sleeping by the time we ate). It was a great opportunity to use up some pasta, some random frozen veggies, my last can of creamed soup, and canned tuna. I'll make it again sometime since it was so easy to throw together and did taste quite good, too.

Tuna Casserole

3 cups cooked macaroni (I only used 2 cups, and used organic whole wheat fusilli batali)
1 (6 ounce) can tuna, drained (I used 2 cans)
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (I used 98% fat free cream of celery)
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I used up what I had randomly in the fridge - co-jack, mild cheddar, and mozzarella... about 1/2-3/4 cup probably)
1 1/2 cups French fried onions (I did not use these - I don't like them)
(I also added about 1 1/2 cups frozen peas/carrot medley and 3/4 cup frozen broccoli)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

In a 9x13-inch baking dish (I used a 7x11 dish), combine the pasta, tuna, and soup (and veggies). Mix well, and then top with cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for about 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Sprinkle with fried onions, and bake for another 5 minutes. Serve hot.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Glad you liked this. It is super easy and a great way to use up odds and ends!

kat said...

I really need to add veggies to my tuna casserole, it looks tasty