Saturday, March 7, 2009

Crockpot Broccoli Chicken

I modified a recipe I found on A Year of Crockpotting for broccoli beef and instead made broccoli chicken for dinner last night. I thought it was very good, though I'd probably use a tad less vinegar next time. Kevin didn't care for it, but he really doesn't like soy sauce at all and it is a dominant flavor. So I'll have to play around with the recipe and look for other suggestions to use next time so we can make our own takeout more often. I did get to use up all of the fresh broccoli I had on hand, so that is good. I modified the recipe and directions below to reflect what I did. Chicken cooks much more quickly than beef, so my cooking times below are way shorter than the original for the beef.

Crockpot Broccoli Chicken

3-4 medium sized boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
1/4 cup soy sauce (I used low sodium)
2 T white wine (I left this out)
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 T brown sugar
2 t sesame oil (I used toasted sesame oil)
2 cloves smashed and chopped garlic (I minced mine up)
1/2 t crushed red pepper flakes
1 bag thawed broccoli florets (I used 2 heads of fresh broccoli)

Add the liquid to the crockpot. Chop up your garlic, add to mixture. Stir in spices.

Slice meat into thin strips. Toss in the liquid and spice mixture to coat thoroughly.

Cook on low for about 3 hours. After 3 hours, add broccoli and stir, cover and cook on low for another hour or so.

Serve over steamed rice. (We had ours over steamed brown rice)

No comments: