Sunday, March 15, 2009

Scalloped Potatoes

Our dinner tonight consisted of a baked ham (all-natural, hormone-free, basically organic if he was certified), organic scalloped potatoes, and conventional roasted asparagus (couldn't find organic). Everything turned out soooo good! We found out that Carson really likes asparagus, so that is great news! Anyway, I used my family's recipe for scalloped potatoes. It comes from my Auntie Lydie, I believe... she was my Grandma's sister. These are the best scalloped potatoes. Everyone in my family makes them on a regular basis, we all love them so much. They're also great as a one-dish meal if you throw in some ham or polish sausage (ring sausage).

Scalloped Potatoes

7 medium potatoes
3 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
1 1/2 cups milk
salt (I like to use Lawry's seasoned salt)
pepper

Peel and slice the potatoes. Put them into a baking dish. Melt the butter in a saucepan, whisk in the flour. Cook for about a minute to cook off the flour taste. Whisk in the milk, stir until there are no lumps. Bring to a simmer. Once the sauce thickens, pour over potatoes. Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, or until top is browned in spots and potatoes are fork-tender.

No comments: