Sunday, June 21, 2009

Sugared Almonds

I bought some Meijer Naturals almonds a few weeks ago with the idea that I'd try out the recipe my SIL used for pecans with them. I finally broke them out yesterday morning and Carson and I made them. He loves helping me in the kitchen - he just thinks he's a hot shot. He stirred together the sugar, salt, and cinnamon for the almonds and kept pulling his spoon out and licking it, saying "MMMMM" with a big goofy smile. Then in goes the spoon again and the process started all over. :) Yes, I let him double-dip, sorry if that grosses you out, but we're fine with him doing it right now. But anyway, back to the almonds. The sugar never really melted down like it looks like it did for Mary's pecans. Not sure why, really. But they still taste really yummy the way they are. Next time, I think I'll use less salt because I can taste the salt quite a bit. But these things are addicting, so be careful!!

Sugar Coated Nuts

1 egg white (local, organic, free-range)
1 Tablespoon water (I used 1/2 Tablespoon organic vanilla + 1/2 Tablespoon water)
1 pound pecan halves (or any nuts - I used Meijer Naturals almonds)
1 cup white sugar (organic)
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (I used 1 teaspoon, organic)

Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Grease one baking sheet (I just used my non-stick sheet and no need to grease it).

In a mixing bowl, whip together the egg white and water until frothy. In a separate bowl, mix together sugar, salt, and cinnamon.

Add nuts to egg whites, stir to coat the nuts evenly. Remove the nuts, and toss them in the sugar mixture until coated. Spread the nuts out on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Glad you got to try these. They were good. I too noticed the salt was quite prominent. Maybe Carson snuck some extra in :P And maybe that is what kept the sugar from melting? Doesn't matter. It's hard for them to not be good :)

The Voogts said...

Forgot to mention, I think I used 2 egg whites when I made them, based on comments. That might help.