Friday, June 5, 2009

Crockpot Corn Chowder

I realized I never posted that I made some corn chowder from A Year of Crockpotting last week. This was a little different than most of the corn chowders I've had in restaurants - mostly because this doesn't use any milk/cream. It was still good, though... and much healthier than the versions using milk/cream. Kevin really liked it because it pretty much tasted like creamed corn with a little kick. Next time, I won't puree it quite as much so it doesn't have as much of a creamed corn texture.

Crockpot Corn Chowder

2 quarts of chicken broth (I used organic BTB and water)
1 small onion
1 red pepper
1 peeled and chopped carrot
2 (16-ounce) bags frozen corn
2 medium potatoes

Finely chop the onion and brown in a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan. (I skipped this step) You want the onion to be cooked, but not totally translucent since it will continue to cook in the crockpot. Finely chop the carrots and the red pepper. Wash and coarsely chop the potatoes. I kept the skin on - it's up to you. Dump all the veggies into the stoneware insert. Add the bags of frozen corn. Empty both cartons of chicken broth (2 quarts; 8 cups) on top. Plug in your crockpot and set on high for 4-5 hours or low for 8-9 hours.

After the chowder has cooked all day, use a hand blender to chowderify.

If you don't have a hand blender you can pour into a blender and pulse to desired consistency.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

I've made this quite a few times. I LOVE it. I usually add about a 1/2 cup of corn after I puree it and let it cook another half hour. Gives it a little more texture/bite.