Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Soba Noodles with Edamame and Zucchini

Last night we tried a recipe that I had seen on Two Peas and Their Pod last week. It is supposed to be soba noodles with edamame, zucchini, and spinach... but I forgot that last part - oops! I wasn't planning on using spinach anyway - I was going to use some baby pac choi from our garden, but like I said... I forgot about it. It was awesome the way it was, though, too. I'll post the original recipe below. All three of us really liked this dish. It had some spice to it with the chili sauce in there, but you can adjust to your liking on that. Carson had a ball helping me shell the edamame (I only ever buy it in the pods b/c I steam it sometimes for snacks). I thawed out the bag of pods and Carson loved reaching in, grabbing a pod, and chewing on it. He ate so many raw beans - but he loved them! He kept trying to steal my shelled edamame to eat them, even! This is definitely something I'll make again and is a great recipe to change up and work with to make it your own.

I did take a picture, but it's still on the camera. I'll update later on.

Soba Noodles with Edamame, Zucchini, and Spinach

Sauce:
Low sodium soy sauce (organic tamari)
Water
Rice wine vinegar
Honey (local, pure, pretty much organic, just not certified)
Garlic Chile Paste (I used Sriracha chili sauce)

Soba noodles (I used one bunch)
1 T Sesame oil (organic)
2 cloves garlic, minced (organic)
2 zucchini, chopped (organic)
1/2 cup shelled edamame (from Trader Joe's... though I don't think it was organic)
1 cup fresh spinach leaves (was going to use pac choi, but forgot to add it)
3 green onions, chopped (organic)
Black pepper, to taste
Sesame seeds (left these off)
Extra green onions for garnish

First, make the sauce. In a small bowl whisk together the ingredients. I guessed on the measurements, so just make sure you taste as you go. Sorry we forget to measure sometimes.

Cook the soba noodles according to the package instructions. Drain them and set aside.

In a large skillet heat the sesame oil. Add in garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Add in zucchini, edamame, spinach, and green onions. Cook until the zucchini is tender and the spinach is wilted.

Pour in the sauce. Stir well. Add black pepper, to taste.

Stir in the soba noodles. Let everything cook together for a couple of minutes.

Serve in a bowl. Add sesame seeds and green onions on top, if you wish.

No comments: