Sunday, June 7, 2009

Meal Plans

A quick post today since I want to get out in the garden for about a half hour while its still early.

Sunday - grilled tequila lime chicken, mexican rice (to use up my last packaged rice mix), grilled asparagus, we went over to my parents' for dinner last-minute... we had bbq'ed boneless pork ribs, grilled baked potatoes, sauteed asparagus and broccoli instead, but I still made some buttermilk lemon bars (post to come soon)
Meatless Monday - it'll just be Carson and me for dinner since Kevin will be driving back from Ohio, so I think I'll probably just have a spinach salad using spinach from the garden with hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, cukes, and cheese
Tuesday - I'll be in Windsor, Canada all day for meetings... I think I'll do a ham in the crockpot, roasted veggies change of plans to use up the chicken I had thawed on Sunday afternoon... grilled balsamic BBQ chicken, grilled asparagus, buttermilk cornbread
Wednesday - I'll be in Windsor all day again for meetings, then we have to go to my sister's graduation at 7:00. So we need something really fast and easy... maybe we'll do loaded baked potatoes with cheese, sour cream, scallions, and maybe some cubed leftover ham for toppings.
Thursday - creamy chicken casserole ham in the crockpot, roasted red potatoes, roasted asparagus
Friday - grilled balsamic BBQ chicken, grilled baked potatoes, green beans from the freezer creamy chicken casserole peanut turkey burgers, roasted asparagus
Saturday - bean and ham soup, homemade bread (I'll be canning a few pints of this soup for some quick and easy lunches for Kevin at some point)

This week, I will continue to do some planting in the veggie garden. I'll do the second round of planting for some green and yellow beans, as well as a few more zucchini plants. I'll also be working on getting marigolds planted around the perimeter and throughout some areas of the veggie garden. This method really worked well last year to keep most of the bugs/pests away. Now if I can only figure out how to effectively keep the rabbits and other critters away... any suggestions?? They're eating my pea vines up before they can even produce peas and some mysterious creature back there has figured out how to unscrew lids on containers of corn gluten meal (an organic way to prevent weeds from sprouting) and dump it all out in the field. I'd like to also clean a few bags of junk out of the garage... we still have leftovers from our garage sale two summers ago in the corner, so I want to bag it up and drop it off for donation.

No comments: