Saturday, June 13, 2009

Double Berry Scones

I came across a recipe for double berry scones on the Eggs on Sunday blog and thought they looked and sounded so tasty. When I saw they had buttermilk in them, I figured I'd go ahead and try them out now to use up the rest of my buttermilk. I figured I can take one for my breakfast on a couple of mornings this week and I'll freeze a few, too. So I made up a batch of them tonight and snuck a taste of one a little bit ago. Yum! These are very, very good! Definitely something I'll make again!!

Double Berry Scones

1 cup all-purpose flour (organic)
1 cup white whole wheat flour (organic)
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
7 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup dried blueberries (home-dried)
1/2 cup dried strawberries, chopped (organic, home-dried)
3/4 cup well-shaken buttermilk (organic)
1 egg yolk (local, organic, free-range)

To brush the scones with: 1 egg white and some granulated sugar to sprinkle on top

Preheat the oven to 425 F.

Combine the flours, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, salt and zest in a large bowl. Whisk or toss with your fingers to combine. Drop in the chunks of butter, toss them briefly to coat them with flour, then use your fingers to rub the butter into the flour until you have pieces resembling coarse meal, oatmeal flakes, and peas.

Whisk together the buttermilk and egg yolk, and all at once, add to the flour and butter mixture. Stir gently and quickly with a fork until it comes together into a loose dough. Add the dried fruit. Use your hands to gather the pieces of dough into a ball and knead it a few times against the edge of the bowl, just to gather any loose pieces - the dough will be fairly moist, so you can sprinkle a little more flour on your hands if it helps.

Pat the dough out on a floured surface into a round disk, about 1 inch high. Use a sharp knife to cut the disk into 8 wedges, and place the wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the tops of the scones with the egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar.

Bake for about 15-18 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.

Makes 8 scones.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

I've made some of her scones before (different recipe). And they were sooooo good. And easy. I should make them again soon.

Sara said...

I was surprised at how easy they ended up being! I thought they'd be much more work.