Friday, January 23, 2009

Strawberry Pretzel Delight

We're taking a trip out to Grand Rapids tomorrow afternoon to visit Kevin's grandparents, then we'll head over to my SIL/BIL's house for dinner and playtime with the little ones. So tonight, I made up a jello salad/dessert dish to take to Mary's and Justin's tomorrow. This is a recipe that my cousin Becky N. makes quite often. Its so good! This was the first time I've made it, so I hope it tastes as good as Becky's always does tomorrow! I used organic whole grain spelt pretzels and organic cream cheese. The rest of the ingredients are conventional - who would have thought it'd be so hard to find organic frozen strawberries, whipped cream, and strawberry gelatin?? I looked in three different stores (2 of which were health food stores) and never came across any of them.


Strawberry Pretzel Delight

CRUST:
2 cups crushed pretzels (not only were they organic whole grain spelt, but they had no salt on them either)
3 Tablespoons sugar
3/4 cup melted butter (I used about 3 Tablespoons and few squirts of butter spray)

CREAM CHEESE LAYER:
8 ounces cream cheese (I used the neuchatel 1/3 less fat cheese)
small container cool whip (I used fat free)
1 cup sugar

GELATIN LAYER:
6 ounces strawberry gelatin (I used sugar free)
2 cups boiling water
2 10-ounce containers frozen strawberries

Mix crust ingredients. Press into a 9x13 pan. Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool completely.

Beat together the ingredients for the cream cheese layer. Spread over cooled pretzel crust.

Dissolve gelatin into boiling water. Add strawberries. Let stand for 10 minutes. Then pour over cream cheese layer. Refrigerate overnight.

Top with cool whip and chopped nuts if desired. (I left this layer off)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I LOVE this stuff! It's a classic.
Thanks for reminding about it, and for some great ideas of how to make it healthier!

The Voogts said...

This was really good!! I ate another big piece before bed last night :) Maybe I should have taken more :p