Sunday, January 18, 2009

Meal Plans

Another new week already. These weeks are going by so quickly.

This week, I'm going to try to work in some more salads as side dishes at dinner to increase our veggie intake. We don't eat salads with our dinner often enough. I'm going to try out some homemade dressing recipes that Jaime has posted on her blog, which I'm very excited to try out - I hope they're as good as they sound! The more that I can make from scratch at home, the better! I've also planned a Meatless Monday meal this week. I'm going to try to have a Meatless Monday every week from now on. This will also help increase our veggie intake and will save us some money, too. With the economy the way it is and the uncertainty of the auto industry (and therefore Kevin's job), I'm looking for all sorts of ways to save money nowadays since we just never know what the next day will bring.

Sunday ~ whole grain spelt pasta with meat sauce, green beans, baby greens salad, garlic toast
Meatless Monday ~ either roasted veggie soup (if I have enough veggies leftover from prepping the lasagna) or artichoke pie, baby greens salad
Tuesday ~ salmon cakes, romaine salad, baked potato, peas
Wednesday ~ lamb stew in the crockpot, romaine salad
Thursday ~ leftovers, or else pancakes with blueberry syrup if I get the mix made
Friday ~ panko crusted pork chops with scalloped corn and broccoli, romaine salad if we have lettuce left
Saturday ~ going to Grand Rapids as long as the weather is good

As far as extras this week in line with my healthy eating goals, I'm going to make millet muffins hopefully today, otherwise tomorrow for sure (I'm off for MLK Jr. Day). If I'm ambitious, I'm also going to make up some whole grain pancake mix to have on hand so that I'll be more likely to make some pancakes on the weekends (or for dinner) so we can finally try my home-canned blueberry syrup.

I'm also planning to make up some homemade meat sauce and do up the meat lasagnas for Carson's birthday party next month. I'm going to pressure can the leftover meat sauce. I usually just freeze it, but it'll be nice to have it canned instead. No waiting for it to thaw and it saves on my freezer space. I'll also be prepping the veggie lasagna for the birthday party, as well.

I never had time to do the homemade hot fudge last week, so maybe I'll make some up this week. I just want to do as much in advance as I can for Carson's party. It'll save me lots of grief the week of the party. We also need to try out another homemade ice cream flavor so that we can figure out what types of ice cream we're going to make for the party. We'll do those the week of the party so that they're nice and fresh.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

So, you're joining the meatless bandwagon too? :) So far I'm loving our meatless meals! I'm glad we started doing it...and that Justin has so far liked what I've made. We'll convert these meat and potato boys yet :) Can't wait to hear about your salads. That's something I'm going to be trying in a few months.

Sara said...

Yep, I'm jumping on. :) I've made quite a few meatless meals in the past, but never made a point of doing one a week. Kevin's ok with it. He wasn't too thrilled with doing three in one week last week, so I didn't do the falafels last night - we just ate leftovers since I brought a bunch of stuff home from the baby shower. The salads will just be normal green salads with some veggies - cukes, bell pepper, onion, and hard-boiled eggs. But I'm going to try the homemade salad dressing - I hope its yummy!