Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Cream of Mushroom Soup

I know I said I wasn't doing any extras this week, but I didn't know Meijer had organic mushrooms on sale when I said that. I picked up 5.5 pounds of mushrooms yesterday - organic baby bellas and organic white mushrooms. I used 2 pounds tonight to make this soup and I'll be canning up the remaining 3.5 pounds tomorrow as sliced mushrooms. I got the recipe for this soup from one of the canning boards I follow. It was very easy and came together very quickly. Including processing time, I was in the kitchen from the start of prepping to the end of processing and a clean kitchen for about an hour and a half (45 minutes of that was the processing time). I'm excited to have this on hand for use in casseroles or whatever. I made a double recipe and ended up with 10 pints. Most of the ingredients are organic - the mushrooms, the butter, the Better than Boullion. The ClearJel and the lemon juice are not organic.

Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/3 cup butter
1 pound mushrooms, chopped or sliced
3/4 cup ClearJel
2 quarts meat stock (I used water with Beef Better than Boullion to make the stock)
1 Tablespoons salt (I left this out)
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Melt the butter in a large stockpot. Add mushrooms and saute until brown.

Add meat stock, saving enough to mix with the ClearJel. Make a paste with meat stock and ClearJel. Mix all ingredients and heat until it boils.

(In my case, I used the stockpot to first bring the water to a boil, then added the Better than Boullion. I scooped out about 2 cups of the stock to mix with the ClearJel. I sauteed the mushrooms in a large saute pan. Then just dumped everything into the stock.)

Put into pint jars and process in pressure canner for 45 minutes at 10 lb.pressure.

When opening to use, add equal amount of milk and soup.

Makes 5 pints.

3 comments:

The Voogts said...

Oooh, I want to do this!!! I HATE buying cream soups. All the regular ones like Campbells have MSG and so much salt. And some of the others I've tried (organic, etc.) taste weird. Now that I have a pressure canner I can make this!! I'm sure it will be a while, but I hope to at some point. I'd like to do cream of chicken too. I use that a lot. Thanks for the recipe!

Sara said...

I hate buying them, too. I'm going to make some Cream of Celery at some point, too. That is my favorite cream soup to use in things. But the mushrooms were on sale, so I felt compelled to do this one first. I'd also like to do the cream of chicken at some point, too. I just checked my boards for a recipe, but nothing has been posted yet. So I posted a topic asking everyone if they've made it and had a recipe they'd share. I'll pass it on if I get one.

Allie said...

I'm so jealous of all the canning you do! I hate all the store bought soups too, problem is when I'm sick and want soup I don't want to cook a fresh batch so I like your canning them yourself idea.