Wednesday, January 14, 2009

2009 Garden

So I finally have finished up my seed and plant orders for our 2009 veggie garden! It took me longer because I ended up switching companies. This year I'm using Fedco. I really liked their policies - none of their seeds are genetically engineered or treated with fungicides and about a third of their seeds are organic. Plus, they had many different varieties of the veggies than the company I was going to use... including the Purple Haze Broccoli, which I didn't see in many companies (its an all-edible broccoli plant with normal broccoli shoots and leaves like kale that you eat as a green - how cool is that?). A good part of our garden this year will actually be truly organic - I'm excited about that! I changed up some of the things I'd originally planned, too. I'll post an updated list for those that are interested. I'd also love to hear feedback from those of you that have grown any of the varieties I've chosen or have any advice.

Basil - Sweet
Beans - I went with Organic Golden Rocky (yellow snap), Organic Blue Lake (green snap), Masai Bush Haricots Verts (french filet green bean), Cannellini (dry), Midnight Black Turtle Bean (dry)
Broccoli - Organic Purple Peacock (broccoli and kale in one plant), Piracicaba (half-way between broccoli and broccoli raab)
Cabbage - Melissa Savoy
Carrots - Scarlet Nantes, Organic Yaya, White Satin, Purple Haze
Cauliflower - Snow Crown
Celeriac - Diamante
Celery - Golden Self-Blanching
Chard - Argentata
Corn - Organic Luscious Bi-Color Sweet Corn
Dill - Fernleaf
Leeks - Lincoln, Organic King Seig
Melons - Halona Muskmelon, Organic Sweet Dakota Rose Watermelon
Okra - Organic Cajun Jewel
Parsley - Gigante d’Italia
Parsnips - Andover
Peas - Oregon Giant Snow Pea, Mammoth Melting Sugar Snow Pea
Peppers - Organic Klari Baby Cheese Sweet Pepper, Organic Chocolate Sweet Pepper, Organic Peacework Sweet Pepper
Potatoes - I ended up ordering several varieties - Kennebec, Red Pontiac, Butte, and German Butterball - all of them except the Red Pontiacs are organic
Shallots - Piccasso
Spinach - Olympia, Space
Fall/Winter Squash - Organic Uncle David’s Dakota Dessert (buttercup)
Zucchini - Jackpot (green), Sebring (yellow), Organic Costata Romanesca (green)

And I already have some Organic San Marzano Tomatoes, organic Buttercrunch Lettuce, and organic Sumter Cucumbers.

I'll also have my perennial herbs that I planted last year - Chives, Oregano, Thyme

5 comments:

The Voogts said...

Sounds like a great garden! I hope everything turns out well. Those broccoli plants sound cool. I told Justin we need to start planning our gardan asap :)

Maria said...

Good luck with the garden. Looks like you will have it all! Nice!!

Allie said...

I would love to have a garden like that, but with the heat we have I would probably kill everything. :(

Sara said...

I can't wait for the spring now so I can start planting!! Although I'll actually have some work starting in March since I'm going to try starting some of my own seeds indoors this year. I'm excited for all of the variety this year, though! So many new things for me to grow! :)

Jersey Girl Cooks said...

Wow, what a garden you will have!