Saturday, January 10, 2009

Breakfast Casserole

I decided against the pork chops for dinner last night and decided to finally make the breakfast casserole I'd been planning to do on New Year's Day morning. I got the recipe from RecipeZaar. Kevin really liked this. I ate it, but I'd rather have a more egg-y casserole with very few potatoes and more veggies and cheese. I think I'll make it again, just with some changes to help me like it a little more than I did. Carson hasn't tried any yet, he'll have it for lunch today to see what he thinks. I bet he'll like it, though.

Breakfast Casserole Supreme

1/4 cup margarine
1 small sweet onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped
2-3 medium tomatoes, chopped
(I just used a frozen veggie medley with mushrooms, green peppers, onions, broccoli, carrots, and green beans)
1 (24 ounce) bag frozen hash brown potatoes
12 eggs, beaten
1/2 lb cubed ham or thin sliced ham or cooked crumbled bacon or sausage (I used ham)
3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded

Melt margarine and place in the bottom of 9" by 13" baking pan.

Spread potatoes (still frozen is okay) in bottom of the pan.

Sprinkle chopped vegetables over potatoes.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Sprinkle meat over potatoes and vegetables.

Note: At this point you may continue or casserole may be refrigerated overnight.

Pour beaten eggs over potatoes.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. (Mine took about an hour before it was set up well enough)

Remove from oven and sprinkle cheese evenly over top.

Bake another 5-10 minutes or until cheese is hot and bubbly.

Remove from oven and let set for approximately 5 minutes.

Cut into 2.5"-3" squares and serve with a spatula.

No comments: