Sunday, January 18, 2009

Millet Muffins

I baked a batch of millet muffins this morning. I got the recipe from my friend, Lina, at work - she got it from Allrecipes. She brought these in to work a few months ago and I've been wanting to make them ever since. They're so good! And healthy, too! And a perfect way to work in more whole grains and fiber. The original recipe on Allrecipes is for 16 muffins, I reset it for 24 muffins because I wanted to make a larger batch to freeze a good portion of them. Carson has tried them and really liked them - though I've only allowed him a small piece of one so far since I'm not sure how these whole grains will react in his little system. Kevin tried one and thinks they're ok, but he'd rather have regular ol' blueberry. :) He wasn't all that crazy about the crunch from the millet - which is my favorite part! As I'm just posting this recipe now, I realize I am a total ditz! I totally left out the egg - oops! I was wondering why there were no eggs in the muffins when I was making them, but totally missed them on my list of ingredients. They still turned out really good, even without the egg! I used mostly organic ingredients - flour, millet, milk (that I mixed with conventional powdered buttermilk), agave nectar, cherries, and raisins. The others were conventional.

Millet Muffins
Yield: 24 muffins

3 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup millet (I used about a cup)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 egg, lightly beaten (I missed this)
3/4 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/2 cup applesauce)
3/4 cup honey (I used agave nectar)
(I also added 1 cup dried fruit (cherries and raisins) - I'll add 1 1/2 cups next time)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups (I just used liners).

In a large bowl, mix the whole wheat flour, millet, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, mix the buttermilk, egg, vegetable oil, and honey. Stir buttermilk mixture into the flour mixture just until evenly moist. Transfer batter to the prepared muffin cups.

Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

(To increase the fiber even more, you can substitute some of the whole wheat flour for wheat bran or wheat germ.)

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

I've never had millet. These look really good! I love foods with crunch/texture. I'll have to put this on my list for next month.