Saturday, January 3, 2009

Meal Plans, Rutabaga & Kohlrabi

Tomorrow will probably be kind of busy getting ready for going back to work on Monday... which I'm NOT looking forward to at all. So I figured I'd post our meal plans a little early since I'm not sure how much time I'll have tomorrow.

At dinner the other night with Jaime and Jeff, we were talking about strange vegetables. Rutabagas came up. I've never had them, but have heard from lots of people that they're good. I want to work them into our meals probably next week maybe - as part of my goals to eat more/new veggies. If you have any recipes or methods of preparing rutabagas, I'd love to hear them since I really don't know where to start with them! Another veggie I'd like to work in sometime is Kohlrabi - so the same goes for that, if you have any recipes or methods of preparing it, please let me know!

Sunday ~ depends on how our plans work out, but probably a pork roast oven-baked corn dogs, homemade french fries, green beans
Monday ~ tater tot casserole (since we didn't have it on Saturday because we went out for my bday instead)
Tuesday ~ leftovers for Kevin and Carson since I'll be going to MOPS
Wednesday ~ some kind of soup in the crockpot... maybe chicken and black bean
Thursday ~ leftover soup and grilled cheese sandwiches
Friday ~ pork chops... I can't make up my mind between crispy pork chops with sage cream gravy, pan-fried pork with blueberries, or stuffed pork chop saltimbocca with seared kale... I have the ingredients for all of them already (except the kale, but I could use spinach instead), I just don't know which one sounds best to me right now... breakfast casserole
Saturday ~ maybe we'll try baked falafel sandwiches greek chicken pasta

Probably little to no extras this week. We'll have enough going just getting back into the groove of working again... did I mention how much I'm not looking forward to leaving Carson and going back to work?? :) If anything, I might try out another homemade ice cream recipe. I think I'm going to try making all homemade ice cream for Carson's 1st birthday party in February, so I've got to do some trial-and-error now. I want to see how light I can get it (i.e. more milk than heavy cream or half-and-half) with it still tasting good. Plus, I need to try out some different flavors.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Never tried those veggies. Let me know what you think. And good luck with the corndogs! I have to check if we still have a few hot dogs in our freezer. Or else that I make it to the store before Wed. :)

I hope things go ok going back to work. Hopefully Carson will be feeling good enough for it. Whatever this bug is it sure is taking it's precious time going away :p I'm dreading Justin going back to work tomorrow and having to be alone with Rebecca. It's tough when they are so needy and you never get a break. I might call the ped for another check up tomorrow.