Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Baked Falafel

Last night we tried out an Ellie Krieger recipe for baked falafel. I don't know if I did something wrong, or what, but we didn't really care for them much. I'm not even going to post the recipe, but if you're interested you can use the link. I read through the reviews on FoodNetwork and some people were having problems with them being too dry - ours were the opposite. They were falling apart, they were so moist. Maybe I mis-measured (or mis-eyeballed) something, who knows. The flavor of the falafel was pretty good, though. The tahini was another story. I'm going to have to do some research into tahini sauces because this was totally not what I'm used to (and love). I added garlic since the tahini sauces I love all taste like garlic, but that didn't even help it. It was quite gross. Kevin and I both thought so. We ate the falafel on romaine salads with ranch dressing instead. That was actually ok tasting.

I think I'm going to give up on Ellie Krieger. I've tried lots of her recipes in the past (pre-recipe blog) and we haven't liked very many of them. I love, love, love middle eastern foods, so I was quite disappointed with this recipe. I'm hoping I can find some other middle eastern recipes to try out though. My favorite is chicken shawarma. I've seen a couple recipes for it, but neither of them seemed quite right. I'd also love to find a recipe for shish tawook. And some other things, too. So hopefully we'll see some more middle eastern recipes here in the future.

UPDATE: I think I may have found the solution to my tahini sauce disaster... greek yogurt! I figured it had to be yogurt or sour cream or something like that.

5 comments:

Allie said...

I haven given up on making falafel's. :( I haven't found one good recipe nor have I found a good box mix!

Bev said...

I will talk to Pati. She cooks mideastern food all of the time. She will share some of her recipes.

Sara said...

Oooh!! Thanks Bev!! Let me know!! :)

Maria said...

I want to check out that cookbook!! Glad you are trying some things!

Arlette said...

Hello Sarah

How come you didnt approach me
I am Lebanese and this is my food.

Some recipes are not posted in my blog because I sell them at the Farmer's Market... but if you need any recipe pls just ask me, and I will be more than happy to share the recipe and walk you through the steps and what to do...

the beans cannot be baked without they have to expand, otherwise they will be a raw inside which means gaz .