Sunday, May 30, 2010

Almond Butter

I made some almond butter with some of my crispy almonds the other day. I used the recipe in Nourishing Traditions. I didn't think it needed much honey at all - I just put in a small dab and it is plenty sweet. I love almond butter and buy it from Whole Foods quite often. I figured I'd just make some homemade, even though it is cheaper to buy it. I've made cashew butter in the past, but never have made making nut butters a regular thing because there is no cost savings in it. But it is nice to have homemade. And I needed almond butter in a protein bar recipe (to be posted later) that I wanted to make, so I figured I'd make some of my own rather than wait until I get to the store to buy some.

Almond Butter

2 cups crispy almonds
3/4 cup coconut oil
2 Tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon sea salt

Place nuts and sea salt into a food processor. Grind into a fine powder. Add honey and coconut oil and process until "butter" becomes smooth. It will be somewhat liquid but will harden when chilled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Serve at room temperature.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

Mmmm. I definitely have to try almond butter next!