Sunday, May 30, 2010

Crispy Cashews

I also made crispy cashews when I made the pine nuts and almonds. These have a slightly different process/timing than the others, but I just synchronized them so I could dehydrate them all at the same time. The recipe says cashews need 200 degrees, but I just put them all in my dehydrator on 155 (the highest temp my dehydrator will go) and they were just fine. Carson and I love snacking on cashews, so I mainly made these for snacks. I might make some cashew butter with half of them, or not... and just snack on them.

Crispy Cashews

4 cups "raw" cashews
1 Tablespoon sea salt
Filtered water

Some care must be taken in preparing cashews. They will become slimy and develop a disagreeable taste if allowed to soak to long or dry too slowly.

Soak cashews in salt and water for no longer than 6 hours. Drain in a colander. Spread on a stainless steel baking sheet (or on the trays of a dehydrator) and place in a warm oven (or dehydrator) for no more than 200 degrees for 12 to 24 hours. Stir occasionally, until completely dry and crisp. Store in an airtight container.

No comments: