Friday, May 28, 2010

Crispy Almonds

I decided to give the crispy nuts a try after seeing them on my SIL's blog and her encouragement to dig out my Nourishing Traditions book to re-read through much of it. I had just picked up a bunch of almonds a couple of weeks ago, so I figured these would be perfect to make into crispy nuts. I'll be using most of them today to make into almond butter and then into protein bars (recipes to come later). These are very good and almost effortless to make, plus they're supposed to be more easily digestible. Extra bonus!

Crispy Almonds

4 cups raw almonds, preferably skinless
1 Tablespoon sea salt
Filtered water

Skinless almonds are easier to digest, but the can be hard to find. You may also use almonds with skins on. (I did)

Mix almonds with salt and water and leave in a warm place for at least 7 hours or overnight. Drain in a colander. Spread on a stainless steel baking sheet (or on the trays of a dehydrator) and place in a warm oven (or dehydrator) for no more than 150 degrees for 12 to 24 hours. Stir occasionally, until completely dry and crisp. Store in an airtight container.

Variation: use almond slivers or slices instead of whole almonds.

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Glad you got to try them. Aren't they good? I need to try almonds soon. Yum!!

Sara said...

Yes, they're very good! Carson and I have been loving snacking on the almonds, pine nuts, and cashews!