Thursday, October 30, 2008

Canned Carrots

I decided to use up more carrots (about 12 pounds) to can some using the method in my Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving. I'm running low on freezer space and figure Carson will be eating more and more solid forms of foods, so why not can them up. I first washed, peeled, and rinsed all the carrots. Then sliced them up and put them into a large stainless steel pot. Once I got all the carrots into the pot, I covered them with water and brought to a boil. I simmered them for about five minutes, till they were tender-crisp. I then used a slotted spoon to fill 9 pint jars with carrots, then covered them with the cooking water, leaving 1-inch of headspace. Into the pressure canner they went to be processed at 10 pounds of pressure for 25 minutes. They are currently finishing up their processing and returning down to no pressure.

No comments: