Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Crockpot Chicken-Veggie Curry

Last night I made another recipe from A Year of Crockpotting for Vegetarian Curry, only I added chicken to mine so I'm calling it chicken-veggie curry. It was so good, both Kevin and I really enjoyed it. I'll definitely make this one again sometime. It was different than a lot of the curry dishes I've had before, not as creamy, but it was still very tasty. I programmed mine to cook for 11 hours on low and then switch to Keep Warm, which it was on for about an hour and a half. I served it over orzo, but had planned to serve it over brown rice, but didn't realize it was going to take my rice an hour to cook until it was too late (I normally buy the minute rice stuff).

I took a picture, but haven't uploaded it yet, so I'll update later in the week with a picture.

Crockpot Chicken-Veggie Curry

2 cans drained and rinsed garbanzo beans (I used Eden Organic)
1 diced red pepper
4 tiny potatoes, or 1 regular-sized (I used about five small potatoes)
1/2 cup diced carrots (I added more - I used five stalks)
1/2 cup diced celery (I added more - I used three large carrots)
3 cloves smashed and chopped garlic (I used five since I had two small cloves)
2 Tablespoons curry
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon red cayenne pepper
1 large can tomatoes and juice (next time I might keep some of the juice out)
2 cups vegetable broth
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 cup frozen peas, to add later

Add drained and rinsed garbanzo beans to your crockpot. Cover with diced vegetables. (I added six boneless skinless frozen chicken tenderloins here.) Add spices. Dump in tomatoes, yogurt and broth. Stir to mix flavors.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or longer.

20 minutes before serving, stir in the frozen peas. Turn to high.

Serve over hot basmati rice and use brown rice tortillas or corn tortillas to scoop up. If you are not gluten-free, you can use naan, pita bread, or whole-wheat tortillas.

1 comment:

kat said...

Oh, this sounds good & for the crock pot yeah!