Saturday, October 11, 2008

Pearsauce

Yesterday, I did up a small batch of pear sauce for Carson. I made it just like applesauce. I used eight large Bartlett pears, peeled them, cored them, chopped them, and dipped them in a lemon juice-water mixture to prevent browning. Then I dumped them all into a stockpot and put about a quarter inch of water in the bottom. The pears released a lot more liquid than the apples did, so I ended up having a lot of juice (and dumped some out in the end). I cooked the pears for about 15 minutes till they were softened. Then ran them through my food mill on the medium blade. Then back into the pot, added about three tablespoons of lemon juice and heated up to boiling. I filled five half-pints and had about a quarter half-pint leftover for Carson to eat fresh. He tried it today at lunch and LOVED it - moreso than he loves the store-bought pears, I think. I was happy about that. I processed the jars for 20 minutes in a boiling water bath. Again, this will be a huge savings. I think that about 3 containers of the 2nd foods will fit into these jars. Two containers cost me $1.29 on sale - so lets say about $1.94 equivalent. Well, I got the pears for $4.45 , with five jars, that equates to $0.89 per jar. That's a savings of $1.05 per jar - I think that's quite good!

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

Pear sauce sounds so yummy. I want some!

Sara said...

I tasted a little bit when Carson was eating it yesterday and it was GOOD! I liked it better than applesauce. You should do some for Rebecca. If I can find some more pears, I'm going to pick some more up and do up another batch for Carson. Five jars won't last us very long at all.