Thursday, June 24, 2010

Jello Poke Cake

I made a jello poke cake back in May. I think it must have been for the Mother's Day family party with Kevin's family or maybe when we got together for Memorial Day. I can't remember now, but I know I made it in May for some family party with Kevin's family. :) This is a very simple and easy dessert to make and most people love it. I haven't made one in years. Due to time constraints, I actually ended up going to the store and picking up a cake mix. I had planned to make my own, using the recipe I used for the strawberry cake a few months ago. I used strawberry jello and covered the top with fresh strawberries. It was a hit at the party. Everyone loved it and some had seconds. Its a very moist cake and the jello gives it a good flavor. You can use any kind of jello and fruit that you want. I've made it many different ways in the past. Its very versatile.

Sorry, no picture. I must have forgotten to take one.

Jello Poke Cake

1 package white cake mix
Water, oil, and eggs (as specified on cake mix package)
12 oz Cool Whip (I used the organic and natural stuff from Whole Foods)
3 oz package jello (I used strawberry)
1 cup boiling water
fresh berries (optional)

Prepare the cake with the water, oil, and eggs, following the directions on the packet. Bake at 350 degrees in a 13 by 9 inch pan for 40 to 45 minutes and then cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Poke holes all over the cake with a fork.

Dissolve the jello in a cup of boiling water and pour the mixture carefully all over the cake. Chill for 4 hours or until the jello has completely set over the cake.

Decorate the cake with Cool Whip, add the fresh berries if you are using them, and store the cake in the refrigerator

No comments: