Monday, June 28, 2010

Lacto-Fermented Ketchup

I've wanted to try making homemade ketchup for ages so that I could can it. But I never have made it. My SIL tried some lacto-fermented ketchup last month and they liked it well enough. So I thought maybe I'd give that a try once we were running low on ketchup. Then I saw a post over at GNOWFGLINS. She was just raving about how fantastic this ketchup is. So I knew I wanted to try it. We are now running low on ketchup, so I gave it a go the other day. We tasted it for the first time tonight with dinner. Wow, is this good! Sweet with just enough of each of the different spices. Delicious! This is definitely a keeper!

Lacto-Fermented Ketchup

12 ounces organic tomato paste, no salt added
1/4 + 1/8 cup water
1/8 cup whey (or water) (I used whey)
2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4-1/3 cup maple syrup

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Pour sauce into a storage container. (I used a pint mason jar.) Cover and leave at room temperature for two days. Move to the fridge after the two days have gone by.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow, for some reason I thought ketchup would be more complicated than mix and leave out for two days. I might have to try this one too

Mary Voogt said...

Tried to comment earlier, but it wouldn't let me.

This sounds great! I'll have to try it sometime. I just finished our ketchup today. I'll be making another batch with the other recipe. I have fish sauce to use up. But I'll have to give this a try for sure.