Sunday, June 13, 2010

Crockpot Pizza Soup

I was going through some draft posts I'd saved a while back and realize I never posted this recipe. I made this back in April. Its from A Year of Slow Cooking and it is so good! It really does taste like pizza in a bowl. We all loved it! I'll update with my picture of it if I find it...

Crockpot Pizza Soup

1 jar (14 oz) of pizza sauce
3 empty jars full of water
1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup baby tomatoes, cut in quarters (I used 1 can diced tomatoes)
2 already-cooked Italian sausage (I used 2 sweet Italian sausages (uncooked), cut/broken in chunks (casing removed))
1 cup sliced pepperoni, sliced in quarters
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped (or 1/2 Tbsp. dried)
1 Tablespoon dried oregano
1/2 to 1/3 cup of dried pasta (I used organic whole wheat penne)
shredded mozzarella cheese (to add later)

Use a 5 or 6 quart crockpot for this recipe. Serves 4 hungry adults, or 2 hungry adults and 2 kids with enough leftovers to feed them all again.

Wash and prepare veggies. Dump them into the crockpot. Cut up the sausage into small pieces. Add to crockpot. Cut up the pepperoni, add it, too. Add basil and oregano. Pour in the pizza sauce, and follow with three empty jars of water.

Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Thirty minutes before serving, add the dry pasta, and turn to high. Garnish/top with shredded mozzarella cheese.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

This is a good one. But last time I made it I used pepperoni that was way too spicy. Rebecca wouldn't eat it. She practically licked my arm to try to get the spice off her tongue :P Poor thing. I think next time I might leave the pepperoni out all together. The sausage gives it enough flavor.