Saturday, February 21, 2009

Whole Grain Waffles

For lunch today, I made up a batch of whole grain waffle mix and then made some spelt buttermilk waffles. These recipes come from my Whole Grains for Busy People cookbook. Its the same concept as the whole grain pancakes I made a few weeks ago - make up a large batch of the waffle mix to keep in the fridge, then you're ready to mix up a batch of waffles when you want them. These were so very good! All three of us really enjoyed them. They have a little crunch from the cornmeal (I used a larger grind) and sweetness from the honey. So good! I made a double batch of the waffles and froze some. I ended up with 12 waffles total and I froze 8 of them. They will be nice to have on hand to just pop in the toaster for a quick breakfast. The flour, cornmeal, cinnamon, egg, milk, and honey are organic.

Whole Grain Waffle Mix

3 cups spelt flour
1 cup cornmeal
2 teaspoons salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, optional (I added it)

Combine all ingredients in a large Ziploc bag. Shake gently to combine. Label and date the bag. Refrigerate for up to 3 months. Shake gently to aerate the bag before each use.

Spelt Buttermilk Waffles

1 large egg
1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
3 Tablespoons safflower or canola oil (I used canola)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 cup Whole Grain Waffle Mix
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 2 Tablespoons minced crystallized ginger, or 3 Tablespoons dried currants, all optional (I didn't add any of these)
butter or oil, for greasing the waffle iron
maple syrup, fruit preserves, or honey for serving

Lightly beat the eggs. Blend in the buttermilk, oil, and honey. Stir in the waffle mix and any additional ingredients. Do not over-mix.

Heat the waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions. Spray with butter or oil to prevent sticking. Add enough batter to cover the lower grid by half to two-thirds. Bake until crisp, about 4-5 minutes.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

These sound good! I was thinking I needed a whole grain waffle recipe :)