Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Baked Potato Soup

Last night I tried out another Rachael Ray recipe for baked potato soup. YUM! This was really good! Kevin and I both really liked it a lot. I was expecting Kevin to have some reservations about it since it was pureed, but he really liked it. This is a definite keeper. Very easy, very quick, very tasty! It tasted just like a loaded baked potato. I've made several different potato soups in the past, but I really think this is probably one of the best ones... not to mention its definitely the most healthy potato soup recipe I've made. This is a really filling soup, too. I was so stuffed after finishing my bowl. Kevin ate a huge bowl, plus a little more, so we don't have much leftover at all. So I'll be making something different tonight now... meal plans are updated below... I ended up choosing another meatless meal.

We had this with some of my artisan bread. Which, by the way, was SO INCREDIBLY GOOD! We'll see how it goes, but I really think that my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook will end up being my best investment yet! I can't wait to try out some other recipes! I'm going to make some baguettes on Friday to go with our soup and I'm going to try some sandwich bread probably on Sunday.


Baked Potato Soup

2 large baking potatoes—peeled, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
3 cups milk (I used organic 1%)
Salt and pepper
1/2 head cauliflower, cored and chopped
1 bunch scallions, white and green portions thinly sliced separately (I only used 3 scallions)
4 slices bacon (I left this out - not only was this our meatless meal, but I don't like bacon... Kevin probably would have enjoyed it though)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I used 2% cheese and I didn't use nearly this much)
1/4 cup sour cream (I used light and I didn't use nearly this much... just a small dollup on each bowl)

In a large saucepan, combine the potatoes, 2 cups milk and 1 teaspoon salt. Cover and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low, add the cauliflower and scallion whites, cover and simmer until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Add the remaining 1 cup milk, then puree the soup. Season with salt and pepper.

Microwave the bacon at high power until crisp, 3 to 4 minutes; crumble. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and top with the shredded cheese, sour cream, crumbled bacon and scallion greens.

1 comment:

Allie said...

I really like the sound of this soup, I wouldn't have guessed there was cauliflower in it.