Sunday, February 15, 2009

Homemade French Salad Dressing

I tried out another recipe from RecipeZaar for french salad dressing yesterday, too. This stuff was awesome! Everyone loved it and many asked for the recipe. This will be a definite staple for our refrigerator from now on, which I'm very excited about... one more thing to make from scratch and cut out HFCS and other junk (assuming you don't use normal ketchup)! I'll have to work on trying to make it a little healthier (cutting back on some oil, maybe?), though. French salad dressing is Kevin's favorite, so he is quite happy about this. Now if I could only find a recipe that tastes just like Hidden Valley Ranch... I'd be set with my favorite. I like other salad dressings, though, too, so that's ok.

Homemade French Salad Dressing

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 cup ketchup
1/2-3/4 cup sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup minced yellow onion
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2-1 teaspoon garlic salt, or to taste or use 1-2 teaspoons fresh minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon white salt (I used 2 teaspoons minced garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt)
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, optional or to taste
2-3 tablespoons mayonnaise, optional, add in only for a creamy-style French dressing (I did not add this)

In a large food processor blend all ingredients together until smooth (starting with 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt and 1/2 cup sugar and add in more to taste after mixing.

Do not attempt to make this in a small 4-cup blender or you will have the dressing all over your counter!

Mix in the mayonnaise (if using) for a creamy-style French dressing.

Place in the fridge for a couple of hours before serving.

1 comment:

The Voogts said...

This stuff was great! It's pretty much the same recipe I was going to try a few weeks ago but never had time for. I'll have to do it one of these days.