Sunday, February 8, 2009

Julie's Soup a.k.a. Pasta e Fagioli Soup

On Friday, I made a soup recipe from my SIL, Julie. It is a very good soup. Its very thick, and is kind of a cross between a soup, a chili, and a goulash. Its very similar to a Pasta e Fagioli soup, but I just have it labeled Julie's Soup in my recipe book. Its very easy to throw together - especially in the crockpot! I used organic onion, carrot, celery, garlic, kidney beans, great northern beans, pasta. I made some baguettes with my Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day dough. The bread does just intensify its flavor after a few days - soooo good! Definitely will be a regular thing from now on.



Julie's Soup

1 pound ground beef (I used lamb)
1 cup onion, diced
1 cup carrot, sliced
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 15-ounce can kidney beans, with liquid
1 15-ounce can great northern beans, with liquid
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
1 12-ounce can V8 juice
1 Tablespoon white vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 pound pasta (I used ditalini)

Brown the ground beef, drain off fat. Add all raw vegetables, saute 10 minutes. Add everything else, except pasta. Simmer at least 15 minutes.

Boil pasta. Add last, or spoon soup over noodles.

(I just browned the meat and dumped everything into my crockpot. Adding the pasta just before serving.)

2 comments:

The Voogts said...

That bread looks and sounds great! Maybe I'll have to sneak the recipe from you ;) Or just get the book.

Sara said...

It is soooo good! I'll share with you, but the book would be a great investment. There are soooo many different recipes in there using the same method. This is still just the basic dough recipe. I'm excited to try out some with whole wheat and others.