Sunday, July 31, 2011

Meal plans and the week ahead

We don't really have too much going on again this week, which is nice. Today we're headed to church and possibly to the farmers' market afterwards. Tuesday morning, I am going to the dentist to get prepped for a new crown. Is it bad that I sort of hope I feel too crummy to go back to work afterwards? ;-p Too bad that probably won't happen.  Maybe we'll go to the ski show on Tuesday night - we haven't been since June.  We'll see what we feel like doing.  Thursday I have to drop the milk jars off to Dianne. Friday is my flex day. Carson and I are hanging out with Kati and Tony. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. Saturday, we may end up making a day trip to Holland - to the Dutch Village and Holland State Park beach.  We need to check to see if Kevin's grandparents will be around so we can stop to see them quick on our way home, maybe.  We were supposed to go camping this weekend, but as of even 5 weeks ago, there were literally zero sites available at about 20 different state parks that I looked into. So we're not going camping.  We're thinking about maybe doing some backyard camping, though... just depends on whether we go to Holland or not.

Since I am roasting a chicken today, I'll be making some chicken stock tomorrow.  I'm also dehydrating some crispy pine nuts and crispy pecans right now.  I'm out of mayo and ranch dressing, so I'll be making some later today.  I think I'll probably make another batch of pesto to freeze, too.  And I'll be freezing more beans again this week.  I'm getting some orange and red bell peppers, so I'll probably chop some of those up to freeze, as well.  Not sure what else yet.  I may finally make some nut butter bread, but I'm not sure yet. 

Breakfasts:
Lunches & Snacks:
Dinners:
  • S: crockpot rotisserie chicken; roasted veggies (carrots, cauliflower, peppers, corn, summer squash)
  • M: zucchini parmesan with zucchini and summer squash; green beans; fresh fruit
  • T: modified chicken chili with pesto (no beans, extra veggies)
  • W: grilled chicken; caprese salad; summer squash sauteed in olive oil and garlic
  • Th: grilled beef kebabs with onions, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, and peppers; creamy cucumber salad
  • F: grilled salmon with pesto; summer squash, zucchini, and kale sauteed in olive oil and garlic; fresh fruit
  • Sa:  TBD... in Holland/GR?  or over a backyard campfire? 

4 comments:

The Voogts said...

Hope all goes well on Tuesday!

Have fun on Sat. if you make the trip. We have yet to make it out to Holland this summer :P

Mmmm...salmon w/ pesto. We had that last week, and I had leftovers for breakfast 2 days in a row. I think I could eat it every day...if it wasn't so expensive. It sure would be healthy!

Nut butter bread is good!! I was debating about taking some out of the freezer this week for me to snack on.

Sara said...

We'll probably head to Holland. We were planning to go the 13th, but figured it'd be better to go to Holland on a day we can hopefully stop to see your grandparents, too. I think we're going to go down to Belle Isle on the 13th now instead.

Salmon brushed with pesto is probably the cheapest meal of all for us... just the cost of the pine nuts, olive oil, and parm cheese if I add it. :) Reno catches most of our fish and we get it for free. I think this is our last salmon filet, though. At least till he goes salmon fishing in the fall again. So I'll probably have to go to the fish market in a few weeks to pick some up... grilled salmon is my ultimate favorite way to have salmon, so it's a staple in the summer! We're getting walleye and whitefish from Reno these days... they're good grilled, but I prefer them prepared other ways.

The Voogts said...

No fair!!! Seriously. That's awesome! Any chance we could buy some from him at a discount price when he has some??

I get it at Heffron. It's like $40 for 6 filets I think (or maybe 8). Which is why we only eat it about once every 2 weeks. Gonna try to save money and go with the canned salmon for our salmon cakes this week.

Sara said...

I'll ask him and let you know. I almost always use the canned salmon for salmon cakes. I've made it both ways, but the difference isn't enough for me to justify using a salmon filet that I could be grilling. :)