Thursday, July 17, 2008

Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken

I made this about a month ago and it was delish! It really did taste like rotisserie chicken. It was so moist and tender and it just fell right off all the bones. Very economical, too, if you buy your chicken on a good sale (I got mine for 59 cents a pound). I shredded the leftovers and froze it for later use in enchiladas or for BBQ chicken sandwiches or something. Then I used the carcass to make homemade chicken stock, which I put in the freezer, too.

The recipe comes from Aimee's Adventures. The original recipe is below with my comments/changes in parentheses. You can wrap some potatoes in the foil and let them cook with the chicken and you'd have a meal all in one pot. I'm going to try this next time.

Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken

1 Whole Chicken
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Spice rub of your favorite spices (I like garlic, onion, thyme, and sage)
Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Rub with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and spices. Do not put any water in the crockpot. Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crockpot. The chicken is going to sit on these. Put chicken back side down in crockpot on top of aluminum balls. Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours. (I cooked mine on low for about 12 hours by the time I got home from work and it turned out delicious, so I don't really agree with Aimee that it won't turn out on low.)

No comments: