Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Blueberry Muffins

I found this recipe on RecipeZaar and thought it sounded like a good way to use up some of the fresh blueberries I have on hand. I made another trip to the local farmer's market on Sunday and picked up another four quarts. We've been snacking on them and I've frozen the majority again, but wanted to bake something new to try. Kevin is hoping for a blueberry pie here soon, so maybe I'll have to try that out, too. Anyway, back to the muffins. These were very tasty, very moist, and very good. I'll definitely make these again.


The Best Blueberry Muffins

1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temp
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups fresh blueberries or frozen blueberries
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk

For Topping:
1 tablespoon granulated sugar, mixed with
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Heat oven to 375°. Grease 18 regular-size muffin cups, or 12 large size muffins (I did 24 muffins with no problem). In bowl, mix butter until creamy. Add sugar and beat until pale and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla, baking powder and salt. With spoon, fold in half of flour then half of milk into batter; repeat. Fold in blueberries. Spoon into muffin cups and sprinkle topping onto each muffin. (I left the topping off because Kevin isn't much for them, he just likes plain muffins) Bake 20 to 30 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch.

No comments: