Friday, August 1, 2008

Cole Slaw

I found the recipe on RecipeZaar. Horrocks Farm Market in Lansing had cabbage on sale this week for 15 cents a pound and I just couldn't resist buying one, even though I had no idea what to do with it... but I knew I'd figure something out. So with family in town and a big BBQ planned for Saturday, I decided to try making some cole slaw. I'm not much for cole slaw really, but I'll taste it here and there and I've always liked KFC's. I think KFC is probably Kevin's favorite, too, so I figured I'd try out this copycat KFC recipe.

This turned out to be very good. Everyone at the BBQ complimented it, all the while thinking I just picked up a pre-chopped bag of cole slaw mix and a bottle of dressing. They were all very impressed to hear that I'd made it all from scratch. This was a lot of work, with all the chopping, but it turned out very well.

KFC's Cole Slaw Top Secret

8 cups finely chopped cabbage, about 1 head (I only needed a half a head, but my head of cabbage was enormous!)
1/4 cup shredded carrot, about 1 medium carrot (I used about 3 medium carrots)
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice

Be sure cabbage and carrots are chopped up into very fine pieces, a food processor works great. (Next time I may try the food processor because it took me forever to finely chop all that cabbage!) Combine the sugar, salt, pepper, milk, mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar and lemon juices in a large bowl and beat until smooth. Add the cabbage, carrots and a little onion (I left the onion out) and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hrs be fore serving.

No comments: