Sunday, August 10, 2008

Zucchini Bread

This recipe comes from an old neighbor of my parents' - Winnie. My family has used this recipe for probably 15 years now. It is a very good zucchini bread recipe, though I'm sure there are probably healthier versions out there, too. You can also probably substitute half of the oil (or maybe all of it) for applesauce and still get a very tasty bread. I don't make this very often, but it always goes over well when I do (or when someone else does).

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil (I use canola)
2 cups sugar
2 cups peeled, grated zucchini
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional (I leave these out)

Beat eggs until foamy. Add oil and sugar, beat well. Stir in zucchini. Add vanilla, dry ingredients and nuts. Bake in two loaf pans at 325 degrees for one hour, or until done.

You may increase the amount of cinnamon and vanilla if desired.

No comments: