Saturday, July 19, 2008

Crockpot Parmesan Chicken

I tried out another recipe I found on A Year of CrockPotting for parmesan chicken last night. This turned out very tasty and I'll definitely make this again. This was another very easy recipe to throw together. This only cooked for about 6 hours on low and it was perfect, so I doubt I'll be able to make it on a normal workday once Kevin returns to work (which reminds me, if you have any good crockpot recipes that can be in there for 12 hours, let me know!). I did make some modifications to the original recipe which I hope made it a little more healthy. Even though I didn't bread the chicken, as is typical for chicken parm, it still tasted very good, definitely didn't miss the breadcrumbs. I've put my comments in parentheses within the recipe below.

Crockpot Parmesan Chicken

2-4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I used boneless skinless chicken breast tenders)
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I omitted this and just sprinkled the chicken with some Mrs. Dash italian seasoning)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I did sprinkle a little on the chicken, but probably only a total of about 1/8 cup)
1/2 t Italian Seasoning (I used Mrs. Dash brand)
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t kosher salt (I omitted this)
1 T olive oil (I just used my olive oil spray to spritz the inside of the crock)
1 beaten egg (I omitted this since I wasn't breading the chicken)
sliced mozzarella cheese (I used low-fat)
favorite jarred marinara sauce (I used homemade)

Spread the 1 T of olive oil into the bottom of your crockpot stoneware insert. Whip the egg with a fork in a separate bowl. Mix the bread crumbs with the seasonings and the parmesan cheese in another separate dish. Dip the chicken into the egg, then into the bread crumb mixture, coating both sides with crumbs, cheese and seasonings (I omitted the breading step and just sprinkled the chicken with some Mrs. Dash italian seasoning and a small amount of parmesan cheese). Place the chicken breast pieces in the bottom of the crock. Layer 2-3 slices of mozzarella cheese on top (I only put one slice on each). Cover with entire jar of marinara sauce. Close lid and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4. If your chicken is still frozen, it will take longer. Serve with your favorite pasta (we had ours over tri-color fusilli because that is what I had on hand).

1 comment:

Melissa said...

This looks right up our alley - I will definitely be trying this one. I love using my crockpot!