Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Veggie Burgers

This recipe comes from Sara Ross' mom. Sara and I used to make these when we were in college and eat them throughout the school year. Eating these now brings back lots of good memories of the years that Sara and I lived together. Sara is now in Denver and I miss her terribly (you need to move home, Sara!!) :) Anyway, I made up a batch of these veggie burgers just before Carson was born and froze them. We have them for dinner every few weeks or so - and we had them for dinner on Monday with some local sweet corn from Eichelberg's farm. They're very good, even Kevin likes them, which I was very surprised by! And they're very economical, too, as the ingredients are all pretty cheap.

Lentil Burgers for Bean Haters

2 cups cooked lentil-bulgur mixture (see below)
2 cups bread crumbs
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
4 Tablespoons mixed italian herbs
4 cloves minced garlic (or 4 teaspoons garlic powder)
2 eggs (or 2 T soy flour and 2 T water)
1/2 cup milk

Mix the first six ingredients. Mix in eggs. Add milk and mix well. Chill for one half hour in refrigerator. Form mixture into patties and fry 10 minutes per side, or bake on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 10 minutes on each side (I baked mine).

Lentil-bulgur mixture: Mix equal parts lentils and bulgur wheat. Simmer one part of this mixture with two parts water for 45 minutes. (I used brown lentils, but I've since read that the red and green lentils have a bit more flavor than the brown, so I might try them with red lentils next time to see what the difference is. Also, I used light bulgur wheat.)

We eat them like we'd eat a normal hamburger - with cheese, mayo, ketchup, mustard, pickles. Lettuce and tomato are very good on them, but I didn't have any on Monday, so no picture with all the toppings we'd normally have on them.

2 comments:

Mary Voogt said...

Sara, do you freeze them raw and then bake them when you're ready to eat them? Or do you bake them before you freeze them and then just warm them when you eat them? They look good. Maybe I'll try them sometime...we'll see what Justin thinks :)

Sara said...

I bake them first and then freeze them. Then I just thaw them in the refrigerator or microwave. On Monday I just heated them up in the microwave, but I actually like them better when I thaw them in the microwave, then bake them a little in the oven to warm them up and get them a little crisp on the outside.