Monday, March 21, 2011

Homemade BBQ Sauce

A few weeks ago, I made a beef brisket in the crockpot.  I just threw it in the stoneware with some worschestershire sauce, minced garlic, diced onion, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil.  Then I let it cook on low all day - like 13 hours.  We had it for dinner that night with some veggies and applesauce.  Very simple and so delicious! 

The brisket I used was quite large, so I shredded it all up and made some homemade barbeque sauce from Heavenly Homemakers.  I poured the sauce onto the meat and through it in the fridge for dinner later in the week.  A couple of days later, I got the shredded BBQ brisket out, warmed it on the stovetop, and served it over a bed of spaghetti squash.  Yum, was it awesome!  The BBQ sauce is seriously delicious and SO EASY!  I made it with the ingredients listed below and it was perfect.  I had thought it a little odd to not have a vinegar in there, so I had been prepared to add some... but it didn't need it at all. 

Sorry, no pictures of anything.  Use your imagination.  :)

Homemade BBQ Sauce

3/4 cup ketchup (preferably homemade or organic, definitely one without HFCS!)
2 Tablespoons onion powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1 Tablespoon molasses, honey or sucanat (I used honey)

Mix ingredients in a small sauce pan. Simmer for a few minutes until flavors are blended.

This sauce was amazing on our shredded beef brisket.  It'd also be delicious as a dip for homemade chicken nuggets.  I can't wait to try this on some grilled BBQ chicken this spring and summer!

2 comments:

Extraordinary Ordinary Life said...

Sounds good! I experimented with ketchup and BBQ sauce last summer (canning it) and it did not go well. So I may try again this year. If you have any good canning recipes let me know!

The Voogts said...

Sorry about not commenting lately. Not much time with Rebecca waking up early/having bad dreams :P

Glad you found a version you like. I liked the HH recipe w/o the onion powder and with vinegar. zszzezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (Rebecca's comment :)